Perspective and why I believe we're tiny



There’s a couple of words that have been stuck in my brain for quite a while now;

Perspective 
noun
(pəʳspektɪv)
A particular way of thinking about something, especially one that is influenced by your beliefs or experiences. 

Anthropocentric
adjective 
anθrəpə(ʊ)
Regarding humankind as the central or most important element of existence, especially as opposed to God or animals

I can undeniably trace my obsession with these words to the effect that reading has had on me; every single book I’ve read has changed the way I think about certain subjects… it has irreparably shifted my perspective. Reading has allowed me to discover that we’ve had it wrong all along; we, as humans, are certain that our mere existence is the center of the universe, that we were the ones who brought the cosmos into being… the anthropocentric view, our biggest fallacy. 

“We seem unable to resist overstating every aspect of ourselves: how long we are on the planet for, how much it matters what we achieve, how rare and unfair are our professional failures, how rife with misunderstandings are our relationships, how deep are our sorrows. Melodrama is individually always the order of the day” –– Religion for atheists, Alain de Botton 

I believe it is in our own best interest to modify our thoughts to fit our proportion; we’re not nearly as important as we believe we are. I’m not saying we’re insignificant or that our troubles, sorrows, adversities or triumphs lack validation, but maybe the internalization of our size could make our lives more bearable, it could potentially allow us to regard the course of our lives as what it truly is: a part of something bigger and older than ourselves. Just imagine all the weight that would be lifted off our shoulders the moment we accept that we’re not the epitome of creation.

I like to constantly remind myself of the fact that I’m just an animal, a social and different one according to Darwin, but an animal nevertheless. A product of evolution and not of creation. This thought allows me to set aside my ordinary concerns and embrace my real proportion as a living creature, disregarding the idea that my decisions are part of a divine cosmic plan, freeing myself from cultural expectations, feeling generous towards the universe and surrendering to its course, remembering that I’m just a creature who’s part of nature, not above it. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the explanation for my obsession with tall buildings, the vastness of the sea, the size of mountains, and the mere existence of our galaxy is their ability to render my anxieties and fears entirely obsolete. 

…Maybe the acceptance of our size could be the ultimate key to our freedom.

Sincerely yours, 

Natalia. 

Comments

Popular Posts